Friday, September 30, 2011

My Favorite Client, Miss.Claire Holiday

To photograph a baby, and capture the moments that are too precious for words is something I enjoy, and take pride in doing. It puts a smile on my face, and hearing the parents reactions is priceless. I truly have a passion for what I do and I hope it shows in my photography.
About a year and a half ago some dear friends of mine asked me to photograph their first child's "First Year" in portraits. You all have seen her pictures. She is plastered all over my Scarlett K Facebook page. Her name, Claire Holiday Decant.

When her mom, and dear friend of mine, came to me and asked me to photograph her child, I was more than ecstatic to do so. I have photographed Claire numerous times, from the time she was a newborn, to her recent 2nd Halloween session, and every where in between. However, in the beginning, the Decants were having a lot of difficulty finding a photographer to give them what they wanted.

Our Miss.Claire was born with a hemangioma on the left side of her face. What started out as resembling a small red mark, has grown into a tumor. Dr's originally said the hemangioma was a cosmetic procedure, and wasnt something that needed medical attention. However, it has grown to a substantially larger size over the course of the last year, and is now beginning to push on her eye, and into her left nostril. Clair's Dr's insisted that this was nothing to be concerned about and was not effecting her breathing or eyesight in anyway. However, Claire's parents begged to differ. After a long and hard fought battle, little Miss. Claire Holiday is getting the surgery she needs to have her hemangioma removed.

Claire Holiday's Story on KGET

Her parents had asked me,"if we wanted you to, would you be able to digitally remove the hemangioma from the final product of the pictures". They explained, that after speaking with many other photographers, all had refused to remove anything from Claire's face, saying it took away from the child. I agreed to do so, without judgement on the parents or questioning their reason. Yet the question still remains in my head though. If the client wants something, who am I, as a photographer, to tell them they cannot have it? My passion involves the entire portrait process: photographing, post processing & client satisfaction. I work hard at obtaining the skills needed to be able to grant the client this.

I gave the Decants what they were looking for with their little Claire Bear, and they were extremely happy, and I in return have gotten pleasure in being a part of their family. I have attached some photos of Claire, to allow you to see the before and after's of this beautiful baby girl. The last set of photos are from Claire's 2011 Halloween shoot. Her last photo shoot with her hemangioma. She will be getting the tumor removed in October. All that will be left is a small scar, which I will be happy to edit, if the Decants so desire!

I wish the best to the Decant family, and a speedy recovery to my best client, Miss.Claire Holiday!


No comments: